It happened when I was in my twenties. I was having a quiet night at habitation, texting a friend, when they sent me a photo that left me feeling confused and uncomfortable.

I'm not usually lost for words – I am a writer, afterwards all – but this time, I had no thought what I was supposed to say or do. It wasn't the kind of photo I was used to receiving. I was a wife, and definitely not bachelor for THAT.

It wasn't a nude. It wasn't even a meme. It was… a photo of my friend'south 2 toddlers. And I felt puzzled, because I didn't know why she had sent it to me and I had no idea how to respond.

No-one had ever messaged me with a photo of their 2 kids before. This wasn't normal for me.

At that place was nothing interesting or unusual almost the photo. The kids weren't doing annihilation funny, like rubbing Nutella on their parents' clothes. They weren't dressed upwards in adorable or hilarious costumes. They weren't even anywhere special, like Paris or something. It wasn't anyone'southward birthday. They were merely… there.

Yes, they were beautiful and smiley. Only what was I supposed to do with the photo? I felt like I was looking at a photograph of bizarre, undiscovered mystery sea creatures. I had so many questions for my friend (e.thousand. Why did you send this? What is the indicate? TELL ME HOW TO Answer BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH A Photograph OF Ii KIDS). But I had nothing to say in response.

Mamamia confessions… these are the weirdest things our kids have washed.

At that time in my life, I didn't have kids. My friends never sent me photos of their kids, merely because they didn't have children either. I got sent photos of outfits that my girlfriends were thinking of buying, or haircuts they wanted to become, or a sneaky shot of a person they fancied.

I mostly sent photos of weird things, like a pumpkin covered in mould that my colleague had accidentally left in our storeroom. For these types of pics, a typical response would be a quick emoji, or a jaunty acronym (WTF or OMG are my usuals).

But I felt that my friend (who I will phone call Hayley) would await more from me. Something personal and thoughtful, to lucifer the love she had for her children.